mercredi 10 novembre 2010

American virtues

















Over generalisation is often tricky and misleading and yet, there’s a place where I can without any hesitation indulge in using one: From my own personal experience and account, Americans are really friendly and warm people.

What does he know? will ask some, he has never travelled to the USA. Sure I haven’t but I’ve met next to 5.000 Americans with whom I had the opportunity to speak and exchange for hours on end during the 80s.

OK, they were tourists in Paris and maybe they weren’t representative of the average Joe, Dick and Harry.

Nevertheless, I’ve always found them to be straightforward, modest and over all, possessing a virtue that seems to be unknown to most Europeans: they’re nice and candid altogether, to the point I’ve sometimes felt moved by their sincerity.

Another salient trait of their personality that I have many times admired is their curiosity and the obvious open mindedness they display when meeting foreigners.

The sense of self deprecating humour they occasionally show is also worth noticing and never fails to raise a smile and helps make contact. 

To make a long story short, any encounter with American visitors has next to always meant an enjoyable moment for me. Forget the short-sighted, narrow minded Brits, Americans beat them hands down when it comes to face to face contacts.

Now, the French and Europeans in general may harbour the clichés and prejudice we all know of but regarding the sense of friendship and sociability we have much to learn from Americans.


Note: the painting is “Parrots” by John James Audubon


Aucun commentaire: